Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Apr 8 2015

"After the sirens" is a presentation on stress in uniform from the perspective of an accomplished practitioner and educator, namely me. In it I talk about my experiences with stress related illness.

Stress is an unavoidable component of every role in uniform. Uniformed responders from all areas of military and emergency service are united simply by the fact that on a daily basis they each perform duties and provide service in a manner and in environments far outside the abilities and experiences of the average layperson.
During every uniformed responder's career there will be incidents of significance that will significantly increase the level and duration of the responder's stress response, putting the responder at risk of developing PTSD.

In the case of many responders like myself, the cumulative adverse effects of "routine" responder work related stressors combined with personal stressors created a health issue I was unable to control and manage successfully. Often, these workplace stressors continually elevate the responder's stress level and in the process, eroding the responder's ability to manage the ever increasing stress baseline.

Despite being a paramedic and EMS educator for 18 years I failed to recognize the need for help until it was almost too late. Mine is the story of coming to terms with being in need, and of having the strength to ask for help. It is also about regaining the upper hand in regards to stress management, and being cognizant that stress management is a constant need.

The title "After the sirens" refers to having to come to terms with the end of a career in uniform, and the loss of identity associated with it.
The day my career in EMS ended I started creating what was to eventually become titled "After the sirens". That was seven years ago this month.
In all honesty the presentation was founded on anger and grief over the loss of a career that was once filled with accomplishments; one I was actively trying to resurrect at the time of my illness. My anger has for the most part has subsided and my grief has pretty much abated, but there remains a professional void - a lack of a sense of professional purpose if you will, fueled by the thirst of an educator not done educating.

A year ago I had the opportunity to present a very abridged version of the "After the sirens" presentation, and it was received well. Coincidentally around the same time, Kevin Davidson, a colleague and former student of mine was writing and has since recorded the song "When those sirens are gone", the focus of which is PTSD.
Kevin's demonstration of strength in releasing "When those sirens are gone", gave me the proverbial shove I needed to share my story about the effects of stress in uniform with other uniformed responders.
You can find out more about Kevin and "When those sirens are gone" at:
http://kevindavisonmusic.wix.com/kevindavsionmusic.

Which brings us to today, April 8 2015.
Tomorrow I'm flying to India for work and I'll be gone until the first week of May.
On May 10th I am presenting "After the sirens" at the Cole Harbour Library at 1430.
For the following three weeks I will be delivering the "After the sirens" presentation to groups of responders from New Brunswick to Tennessee. I personally am covering all costs associated with the delivery of the May "After the sirens"campaign.

In June I'll be delivering the "After the sirens" presentation at the EMS Odyssey conference in Phoenix as well as at several other locations in Arizona. I have received funding to help cover the costs associated with delivering the "After the sirens" campaign in Arizona.

It is my hope that attendees of the presentation will donate to the "After the sirens" GoFundMe campaign, much like "paying it forward", enabling the delivery of the presentation to groups of responders in other areas.

Pending successful fundraising I will continue delivering the "After the sirens" to groups of interested uniformed responders, and raising awareness of the effects of stress in uniform.




No comments:

Post a Comment